Commonwealth E20
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving Forward

+2
Ottoman
TLS
6 posters

Go down

Chto delat?

Moving Forward Vote_lcap40%Moving Forward Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 2 ]
Moving Forward Vote_lcap0%Moving Forward Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Moving Forward Vote_lcap40%Moving Forward Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 2 ]
Moving Forward Vote_lcap20%Moving Forward Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
Moving Forward Vote_lcap0%Moving Forward Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

Moving Forward Empty Moving Forward

Post by TLS Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:46 pm

It's almost 1720, and we've had 20 straight years of gameplay over the last 6 months or so. That's a decent run for one of our games, but in the interest of keeping things, well, interesting, I thought I would put a few proposals before the group. From where I stand as mod, we could do one of four things:

1) We could just keep going as-is. I'm on the cusp of finals, and so might have to slow roll things a little (even in peace time), but once summer hits it'll be easier for me to just keep up the pace normally--some of the smoothness of play issues we've been having are a product of my schedule. I also might bring in another mod to help handle some of the stuff that just keeps slipping, such as NPC management.

2) We can do a 5-10 year jump and then proceed largely along the same lines. I'm actually not inclined to do jumps because I think having to slog through 5 weeks of rebuilding your navy IRL makes you more hesitant to destroy your fleets. But I also don't want it to be "man this has been a fun month of me sitting on my ass because I'm rebuilding my fortresses," so if that's a consensus choice we can do it.

3) This is sort of a sub-option for either one of the above--we can do a big ol' PC switch, with a 2-week turn to facilitate everybody having to start over again. I actually was considering building this into the rules when we began, but I think that part of what leads to gamey things is that people try to stake out century-long development plans and follow them. By having a big switch, countries will be a little more erratic. It also gives people an opportunity to try out different play styles, country types, etc. Everyone except Haven has been playing the same country more-or-less since the game started, so it could be fun to try something new. But I also understand if people are bought into their countries, so this is just an idea to weigh.

4) We close up shop and either suspend the game (no game for a few months, coming back depending on demand) or move directly into another game idea (OK was kicking something around, GB might be inclined to run something, etc). I'm willing to keep this up if you guys are. As I said above, my schedule is what's been impeding us recently and will do so for another few weeks, but then I'm a summer intern with no homework (though I'm planning on being on the other side of the world if Uncle Sam gives me a security clearance--but this would just change times, not my availability) so it will smooth out. But people might just be getting tired--and I can definitely find other ways to fill the 10-15 hours a week this game requires of me!

I'll put a poll up to gauge everyone's opinions. You can vote for multiple options. Also, if you have other ideas, throw 'em out there.

Last edited by TLS on Sat May 19, 2018 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
TLS
TLS
Admin

https://commonwealthe20.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Moving Forward Empty Re: Moving Forward

Post by Ottoman Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Not a fan of jumps, but I am willing to consider it. I would prefer to stay as Ottomans thou.

Or we want to do one of my game ideas, I am ok with that too.

Ottoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Personally, I'd like to see if I can't continue defying Poland's destiny, but I also do find a certain appeal in swapping countries, as the chaos it creates can spice things up.

Most important, however, is mod fatigue. TLS, are you good to keep going? GB, do you want to mod again? Does anyone else want to give it a shot?

Personally, I've thoroughly enjoyed TLS's mod-dom, and would be happy to continue the game in this iteration, but I certainly defer to the RL demands on the mod, and don't mind the necessary RL delays.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post by TLS Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Lefty wrote:Personally, I'd like to see if I can't continue defying Poland's destiny, but I also do find a certain appeal in swapping countries, as the chaos it creates can spice things up.

Most important, however, is mod fatigue. TLS, are you good to keep going? GB, do you want to mod again? Does anyone else want to give it a shot?

Personally, I've thoroughly enjoyed TLS's mod-dom, and would be happy to continue the game in this iteration, but I certainly defer to the RL demands on the mod, and don't mind the necessary RL delays.

It's not a matter of whether I want to keep going--I do--but more a matter of if I can step up responsiveness to the level to keep the game running smooth enough for people to not drop off. Being able to hand off peripheral theaters or such to people would be helpful, but I also don't want people to be drawn away from meaningful play time. So there's a balance to be struck there.
TLS
TLS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galveston Bay Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:01 pm

I am enjoying playing quit a lot myself. I am willing to step in and mod if TLS needs a break (and have the advantage of being very comfortable with the rules..lol).

I wouldn't mind seeing a 10 year jump.. A lot of nations are going to be rebuilding in any event. Spain lacks a significant navy, the Anglo-Irish just sank a lot of theirs, it takes into account some colonial expansion (in terms of numbers), France is about to embark on a massive build up of its army having paid off its debts (or nearly so) etc

A useful jump however requires the referee to have a pretty good idea of what the NPCs are doing and it helps a lot if a write up can be done. So if you finals are in a couple of weeks, my suggestion, 2 more weeks of normal turns, followed by the jump during your finals period with you posting significant events that occur during the jump just before your finals.

I am enjoying France, but could just as easily play just about anyone else. Switching nations does have the realistic outcome of preventing ahistorical long range planning, which as we all know is very rare indeed in OTL

Galveston Bay
Galveston Bay
Admin

https://galvestonbaygames.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:45 pm

TLS wrote:
Lefty wrote:Personally, I'd like to see if I can't continue defying Poland's destiny, but I also do find a certain appeal in swapping countries, as the chaos it creates can spice things up.

It's not a matter of whether I want to keep going--I do--but more a matter of if I can step up responsiveness to the level to keep the game running smooth enough for people to not drop off. Being able to hand off peripheral theaters or such to people would be helpful, but I also don't want people to be drawn away from meaningful play time. So there's a balance to be struck there.

I will say, I think what's left of our merry band is the hard-core, and will stick around for delays and whatnot. I sure will, even if it means the end of fair Polan.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post by Haven Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:43 am

I'm the newest player so take this for what its worth. Being fairly recent I'd prefer to keep playing my nation without a jump. That said, I will happily go along with whatever decision is made. I definitely see the value in switching nations for the long-term health of the game, and to keep things interesting. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to stagger changes though, instead of having a sudden complete turnover? Not sure how you would do it, perhaps you could tie players to the heads-of-state (i.e., Stadtholder William dies, I need to change countries).

TLS, did you know someone who could jump in to help mod and cover NPC management? I think that would a good idea, although I don't think it could be an active player.

Also for what its worth, from my short time in-game the pace of play and the modding has been good. No complaints on that end.

Haven

Back to top Go down

Post by Galveston Bay Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:50 am

I agree that staggered switching has advantages..so when King Philip of France dies, I want someone else to take over France and I will take over something else. That way we have fresh rulers, who may or may not see the value of plans of the person they are replacing

For the Commonwealth, as it has no king, but does have ruling parties, something similar could happen.
Galveston Bay
Galveston Bay
Admin

https://galvestonbaygames.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:56 am

That's actually a pretty good idea. We've got at least one "major" NPC in the form of Austria that needs filling, plus Rus, Sweden, Portugal, maybe Lombardy could all potentially be interesting to play with.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post by Haneastic Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:13 pm

I guess my current preference is to stick with my country for the time being, I think I minor jump like say 3 years or 5 years would be good.

If you wanted to move players around via rulers dying, I also would be happy to play as NPC mod too
Haneastic
Haneastic

Back to top Go down

Post by TLS Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Okay, I feel like enough of the people have spoken. There won't be any forced country changing (though if anyone is interested, now is this time) but I also don't want to do a huge jump. Thus, here's the schedule moving forward:

1720: This week (Week of Monday, 4/23)
1725: Week of Monday, 4/30 is dedicated to builds, jump events, etc. Week of May 5/7 is a normal week.

I will hold off on posting updated econ stats and population info until the start of the jump, so next weekend.
TLS
TLS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TLS Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:29 pm

Sorry to be so flaky on this, but in the interest of the game not being disjointed I'm going to have to put it on pause for the next few weeks. With school and life I can't even commit the bare minimum amount of time necessary to keep the game running with the smallest level of conflict. I really didn't want to have to do this, but I feel like it is better to just take a pause for a few weeks and then work at a normal level rather than for me to keep disjointedly jumping in and out.

My exams finish on May 15 and then my girlfriend graduates from Med School the following Sunday, May 20th. Once that's done I transition into first summer and then internship mode, but those will be much more manageable. Thus, the schedule as of now is:

Pause: 4/30 thru 5/20 (I will begin posting major jump events relevant to PCs the latter half of the week of 5/14)
1725: Week of Monday, 5/21 is dedicated to builds and all other jump events, making week of 5/28 a normal week.
TLS
TLS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galveston Bay Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:35 pm

well shucks

but I do understand
Galveston Bay
Galveston Bay
Admin