Commonwealth E20
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ottoman's RP Ideas

5 posters

Go down

Ottoman's RP Ideas Empty Ottoman's RP Ideas

Post by Ottoman Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:54 pm

After watching the Death of Stalin, I got an idea for new E20 game.

POD

Six months after WW2 ends, Stalin dies due to an heart attack.  Zhukov takes power by staging coup against party faction led by Beria, with the support of other leading figures such as Khrushchev.

Also another POD for this timeline Brezhnev dies in car accident in Kiev.

The start date will be Jan 1,1960, the cold war is in full effect with the space race ongoing.

Still working out other butterfly effects of having Zhukov lead the USSR such as outcomes of Chinese Civil War, Korean war and etc more to come.

However due to the small pool of players, we're have to be creative on how we set up the nation groups that the players will be playing as. For example, we may have US player and NATO player.

Still work in progress.

Last edited by Ottoman on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ottoman

Back to top Go down

Ottoman's RP Ideas Empty Re: Ottoman's RP Ideas

Post by Galveston Bay Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:05 pm

I would suggest instead of a NATO player, a UK player and a French player, with the other NATO nations aside from maybe Turkey being NPC (as they are reactive, not proactive)

suggest PC
Soviet Union
PRC
US
UK
France
Saudi Arabia (maybe)(if not them then Egypt)
Iran
Japan (maybe)
Australia (maybe)
India
South Africa (maybe)
North Vietnam (maybe)

NPC (because they stir the pot or are reactive more than proactive)
Pakistan
both Koreas
Japan (maybe)
other NATO
most of the Mideast, including Israel (which is reactive, not proactive for much of the period)
SubSaharan Africa and Latin America

for fun, depending on how serious you want this
Dr No / Blofeild

PC nations picked for either being major or super powers, or major colonial powers or nations that were proactive instead of reactive for much of the Cold War (in other words, shaped events instead of mainly reacting to them). Some are also major regional powers

Galveston Bay
Galveston Bay
Admin

https://galvestonbaygames.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ottoman Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:32 pm

Thinking about butterfly effects....Yugoslavia will be warsaw pact member unlike rl where Stalin and Tito had fallout.

The Communist will win the Chinese Civil War as per historical. However Sino-Soviet split may happen earlier then rl, due to the fact Chairman Mao Zedong and Premier Nikita Khrushchev didn't get along.

Korean War will be historically, I decided against having a United Pro USA or USSR Korea.

Ottoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ottoman Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Well haven't given up on this idea, still working some mechanics like Stock Market rules, inflation rules, impacts of resources prices going up or down and as well balance of trade.

Also to have a Doctor No like figure

Or

We can make it into a RPG with the players as agents and etc

Ottoman

Back to top Go down

Post by TLS Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:55 pm

I wonder if this game wouldn't benefit from a more narrow focus. I think the reason why we always collapsed in the mid-to-late 20th century is because economic modeling is just freaking impossible.

What might be more manageable is a more simple direct war game. The economic aspect can be hand-waived away, to a degree, by having it be purely focused on a single world war. That way we could minimize the things most people hate (boo builds!) and focus on military conflict. Essentially, if we're using World in Flames as a base, we play it in the way that WiF was meant to be played: focusing on a single, wide-ranging, fairly long in duration conflict (or series therein), but where the economy (such as it factors in) is only short-term focused on military issues.
TLS
TLS
Admin

https://commonwealthe20.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Kilani Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Yeah, the 20th century seems to collapse if we get too macro and don't really simplify the economics.

Kilani

Back to top Go down

Post by Haneastic Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:03 pm

TLS wrote:I wonder if this game wouldn't benefit from a more narrow focus. I think the reason why we always collapsed in the mid-to-late 20th century is because economic modeling is just freaking impossible.

What might be more manageable is a more simple direct war game. The economic aspect can be hand-waived away, to a degree, by having it be purely focused on a single world war. That way we could minimize the things most people hate (boo builds!) and focus on military conflict. Essentially, if we're using World in Flames as a base, we play it in the way that WiF was meant to be played: focusing on a single, wide-ranging, fairly long in duration conflict (or series therein), but where the economy (such as it factors in) is only short-term focused on military issues.

This also solves the issue of players since we could simply divy up players by sides plus having an NPC player
Haneastic
Haneastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Galveston Bay Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:05 pm

TLS wrote:I wonder if this game wouldn't benefit from a more narrow focus. I think the reason why we always collapsed in the mid-to-late 20th century is because economic modeling is just freaking impossible.

Next game I run I am skipping a lot of the economics for the reasons you list
Galveston Bay
Galveston Bay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ottoman Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 pm

I might be ok with no builds or economic rules...but doing a global 1960s might not be good idea with the aspect of nukes.

Ottoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ottoman Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:28 pm

or Another alternative game timeline, Napoleonic World....might be easier to game out compare handling post industrial warfare.

Ottoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Galveston Bay Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:23 pm

I have already decided the next game I am running will be using the rules from Napoleon E20, with a start at 1800 and our Corsican is in South America or Mexico
Galveston Bay
Galveston Bay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ottoman Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Galveston Bay wrote:I have already decided the next game I am running will be using the rules from Napoleon E20, with a start at 1800 and our Corsican is in South America or Mexico

I always wanted to do a game based off this book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Want_of_a_Nail_(novel)

Ottoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Galveston Bay Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Ottoman wrote:
Galveston Bay wrote:I have already decided the next game I am running will be using the rules from Napoleon E20, with a start at 1800 and our Corsican is in South America or Mexico

I always wanted to do a game based off this book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Want_of_a_Nail_(novel)

I have that book, but I disagree with some of the things that happen in it. I just don't see the Federation stopping at the Rockies or allowing the Mexican/Americans to grab the entire Pacific coast
Galveston Bay
Galveston Bay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ottoman Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Well the initial premise is interesting...but as time goes in that book it becomes unlikely..

Ottoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Galveston Bay Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Ottoman wrote:Well the initial premise is interesting...but as time goes in that book it becomes unlikely..
He also lost me with the megacorporation that becomes a quasi state
Galveston Bay
Galveston Bay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ottoman Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Galveston Bay wrote:
Ottoman wrote:Well the initial premise is interesting...but as time goes in that book it becomes unlikely..
 He also lost me with the megacorporation that becomes a quasi state

Never understood that part of the book....even the British East India Company at the height of the its power wasn't that crazy

Ottoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ottoman Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Well another idea is Post Modern Earth...similar to the Expanse tv show or book.

I am use to combat in space, so that's not bad. I just need to map out the game a little bit.

Factions would be Earth, the Outer Sol Colonies, Mars and etc..

Work in Progress

Ottoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Haneastic Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:33 pm

If we're throwing out random ideas, I've read this RP and highly recommend. Since some people mentioned doing an RP based around a specific conflict this might be fun:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-falcon-cannot-hear-the-second-american-civil-war-1937-1944.334992/
Haneastic
Haneastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum